Kennedy and Easton

Kennedy and Easton

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cheers to St. Louis!

Today I toast a mother in St. Louis that gave the ultimate gift to my mother. Life. This unknown woman donated the cord blood from her daughter and unknowingly changed our family forever. To her, I give unending gratitude. Cheers!

One year post-transplant I asked my mom what lessons she had learned form her experience. Here is what she said:

"I can’t say that I learned any profound lessons, but the experience I’ve been through this last year has confirmed many of my beliefs: a positive attitude is very important; here today gone tomorrow; everyone has their down times; having a community of friends sure does help; having hope, gratitude, and joy are essential towards healing; there is no use worrying about dying everybody does it; denial is a wonderful coping mechanism; worry isn’t helpful, so I don’t do much; sh… happens; getting dressed and putting on your makeup makes you feel better; don’t say why me, there are always people worse off than you; look around and you will see beauty everywhere; I am surrounded by love. All the gifts we have come from God, it is our job to return them."

We spent Saturday night celebrating another year together.



No comments:

Post a Comment