Kennedy and Easton

Kennedy and Easton

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Boy oh boy, is he a boy!

Easton is SO boy...through and through. He has this innate ability to make car/motorcycle/shooting noises on command. He has been sticking out both arms and pointer fingers and saying, "I shoot fire at you!" In fact, he pulls out his Uzi arm at dinner and attempts to open fire on the whole family. Initially I was appalled by the whole thing and would get very angry with him when he did this. I really have no idea where he learned it as he has no exposure to violence, guns, and shooting...I won't even let him have a squirt gun. But, after talking with other mothers of boys it seems that regardless of their exposure, many little boys have an inherent tendency to act like this. I am not OK with the boys will be boys philosophy on this one. I feel like it is my parental duty to minimize this "shoot 'em up" behavior. But, it has been really tough because he does it so often and so instinctively. I don't know about you, but I'd bet my money on nature when it comes to the nature vs. nurture argument on 2 year old boys and shooting.

Another move that he has is sticking out his tummy really far and yelling, "belly power!!" I'm not sure if it's a protective shield or if he is attempting to blast the bad guys.

2 comments:

  1. There is no stopping the shooting! As a compromise, we let Ryan shoot stuff but he cannot shoot people, our cats or cars (with people in them). It doesn't matter if he doesn't have a gun. He once chewed away at his sandwich until it was the shape of a gun and used that. Shooting people = time out and loss of weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugghh!! I knew it! But...I completely agree with you on the no shooting people rule. Thanks for the reassurance that it is "normal" boy behavior!

    ReplyDelete