Kennedy and Easton

Kennedy and Easton

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

{sigh}

Can it be true that little-girl-world is sticky and icky and blurry even at age 5? So it appears. For a sensitive girl and an overprotective mom finding your niche on a busy playground is a learned skill. One that Kennedy is still working on and one that I am working on accepting. She adores school and everything about it. So when she came home saying a classmate had told her she couldn't play with her on the playground, she was sad. I can't think of many things that are harder to hear as a parent. How do you equip your kids with enough skills to endure peer rejection? Can you ever? I am confident that she has friends at school and that she is well-liked but it doesn't lessen the sting. My challenge is trying to remain emotionally neutral (at least in front of her), being empathetic and relying on the hope that adversity brings resilience. My initial instinct is to wish that karma visit the perpetrator of this injustice. But, then I realize that its not my battle, it may even be a really good life lesson for her to learn. But its a life lesson that SUCKS to watch unravel. 

1 comment:

  1. I can so relate to this! This just happened to Ellie and it was her cousin :( I find myself being at a loss for the "right" words instead of saying what I really feel :)

    ReplyDelete