Three years ago today (November, 14th) Mom had her umbilical cord blood transplant. It is a bit surreal to me that it has been so long. The hospital stay, the chemo, the side effects from all the drugs all distant but very clear memories for me. Being the ever-positive person that she is, Mom has probably forgotten many of these things (or chemo brain has stolen the memories from her). When I really stop to think about our lives 3 years ago it helps me put things into perspective. Will Easton ever be interested in potty training? Will Kennedy ever expand her diet beyond pasta? Does my hair look better light or dark? All things I spend time worrying about but don't really need to. The reality is, that if we have people we love and are able to spend time with them, we're lucky. The more time, the luckier we are.
This is Mom the day of her transplant taking a little zoom on the stationary bike. Every day she was at the hospital she was showered and made-up and truly lived the "look good= feel good" motto.

Kennedy chumming up with our live-in canine, Autumn. The girls were great playmates while Auty lived with us.
Our family on Thanksgiving Day 2006. With this picture we could probably be the poster family for H1N1 prevention this holiday season

Mom exuding positive energy, all the while having the barf bucket at arms length. She was a trooper!

I am grateful for the last 1, 095 days that I have had to spend with my mom. I am thankful to everyone who has loved and supported my family through difficult times and who celebrate with us in happy times. I am hopeful for all the possibilities that science and research have gifted other transplant recipients. I am joyful for every smile, every laugh and every tear...each one representing a moment we have had, alive and breathing.
This is so beautifully written, nice job. Congrats to your Mom for her last three years and many more years to come!
ReplyDelete